How to Plan a Baby Shower
We are adding the project to your Holiday Projects.
The project was added to your Holiday Projects.
Planning a baby shower this season? Follow our handy tips and tricks to make it through the party planning process unscathed. It's easier to learn how to plan a baby shower on a budget than you would think. We're here to show you how to save some serious cash, while still throwing the party of the season. From ways to cut costs to sweet baby shower theme ideas, this party planning guide has thought of everything so that you don't have to. Becoming a mother is a blessing, and our dearest family members and friends deserve the greatest celebration that we can throw together. Learn how to throw a baby shower by following the DIY baby shower tips and tricks below to put together the best shower you can.
The best way to save money and still add those personal touches that mommies-to-be adore is to plan a baby shower that is almost 100% DIY. Handmade baby shower favors and tasty home-baked treats will make the celebration a sweet and intimate one. Gathering friends and family together is a treasured occasion and when you are sitting down to learn how to plan a baby shower, you want to know you are going to throw the best celebration imaginable. Follow our guide to ensure that your DIY baby shower goes off without a hitch!
Set the Date and Pick a Venue
Talk with the mother-to-be and decide on the perfect date. While showers traditionally occur during the final months of pregnancy, many mothers prefer to have the shower during the second trimester. When it comes to location, at home showers are great for smaller parties. If you have a large guest list, the mother-to-be’s favorite local restaurant would also make a great option. When you are planning a baby shower, deciding to rent a space can be one of your biggest expenses. Consider having your party at home, at your church, or even outside, should the weather permit.
Inviting Guests: DIY Shower Invites
Handmade shower invitations are a great way to cut costs when it comes to the shower budget. Let your chosen theme guide you, or find something perfectly personalized that the mother-to-be will love, like these Brilliant Baby Shower Invites. Find more of our favorite options below.
1. DIY Monogram Cards
2. Free Printable Invitations
3. Baby Girl Diaper Invites
4. Handwoven Greeting Card
5. Baby Shower Diaper Card
6. Blooming Greeting Cards
7. Hello, Butterflies! Card
8. Star Wars Printable Journal Cards
9. Purple Hydrangea Cards
Preparation: Party Theme Ideas
Establishing a baby shower theme will create a greater amount of festivity. Think about the mother-to-be. Does she love Dr. Seuss? Maybe a whimsical theme is a good option. If you decide that a theme is not your thing, stick to simple decorations that follow a color scheme appropriate for the gender of the child, or go with neutrals if the parents are waiting to find out the gender. Some of the theme ideas below are easy to pull together and are also cost-efficient.
1. Book Lover's Baby Shower
2. Nautical Baby Shower Planning
3. Dr. Seuss Inspired Party Printables
BONUS: Check out our collection of Themed Party Ideas You Wish You Thought Of!
Plan a Menu: Baby Shower Food Ideas on a Budget
It's important to feed your guests! Every great party features an even greater list of menu items. Baby shower finger food is a classic option to depend on. However, larger entrees are ideal for evening events. Sangria is a great celebratory drink of choice for most showers, and anyone skipping alcohol can have an alcohol-free version.
Baby Shower Food Ideas: The Main Course
1. Greek Salad with Lemon Dressing
2. Spinach Tart Brunch Recipe
3. Vegetable Finger Sandwiches
4. Summer Appetizer Pesto Bites
Baby Shower Food Ideas: The Drinks
1. Signature Shower Cocktails
2. Fresh Cherry Lemonade
3. Chocolate Mint Smoothie
Baby Shower Food Ideas: Dessert Recipes
1. Floral Shower Cupcakes
2. Rainbow Cupcakes
3. Strawberry Macaron Flower Pops
4. Baby Clothes Cake
5. Baby Face Cookies
6. Bun in the Oven Cookies
7. Lemon Tart Cheesecake Bars
Create and Decorate: DIY Baby Shower Decorations
This is where your shower theme comes in handy! Let your theme dictate your DIY baby shower decorations, and this part of planning will be a cinch! Some of our favorite themes can be perfected with the handmade options below. Don't worry if you're not sticking to a specific theme, these Pom Pom Balloons are adorable and they can be adapted to fit almost any color scheme.
1. DIY Flower Balloons
2. Sprinkle Vases
3. Hot Air Balloon Party Decor
4. Alphabet Card Garland
5. It's a Boy Bunting
6. Doable Diaper Cake
7. Flying Diaper Airplane Cake
8. Harry Potter Gift for Baby Shower
Still looking for more baby shower ideas? Don't miss our collection: 30 Cute and Cuddly DIY Baby Shower Crafts
Plan the Entertainment: Free Baby Shower Games
Obviously opening gifts is the major form of baby shower entertainment, but handmade baby shower games are a very close second! Free baby shower games can be found all over the internet making party games as simple to plan as connecting to your printer. These Baby Shower Free Printables from B Lovely Designs couldn't be any simpler. Sort through our other party activity options below to find the game your theme begs for.
1. Baby Animal Quiz
Print out pictures of baby animals and have your guests guess what kind of animal that cute little ball of fuzz will grow up to be. This is a great little trivia activity to place off to the side of the shower, giving guests something to chat about and play at their leisure. Plus, cute baby animals are just fun to look at so they'll add to your decor!
2. Baby Supplies Price is Right
It can be surprising how expensive baby supplies can be! Give guests a shock by playing Price is Right with baby supplies. You can either play by the traditional rules or set out the supplies and allow guests to make their guesses by writing them down.
Pro tip: Have your guests bring these supplies in as extra gifts the mom-to-be can take home after the party!
3. Baby Name ABC's
This is a game your guests can play at their tables. All you need to do is print out a sheet of paper listing the alphabet with a letter on each line. Guests then race to see who can come up with a baby name for each letter. Guests can play this individually or they can play with those at their table.
Find out more fun ways to turn your baby shower into an unforgettable celebration in our collection: 12 Easy Baby Shower Games
Send-Off: DIY Baby Shower Favors
Don't send your guests home without a favor; this is one of the most common baby shower faux pas. DIY favors are cost-friendly and simple to plan out. After your guests shower the mother-to-be, a simple favor will say, "Thank you." Make these Baby Booties as your baby shower favor or choose from the other options below.
1. Candy Pacifiers
2. 5-Minute Favors
3. Party Favors in a Jar
4. Baby Shower Treat Holder
5. Baby Bootie Favors
6. Pretty Stenciled Favor Bags
7. Unique Mini Planter
8. Personal Mini Pinata Party Favors
Now that the shower is planned, don't forget about a gift for mom and baby! We have plenty of ideas in our collection: 40 Jaw-Dropping DIY Baby Shower Gifts and the Best Gifts for New Moms
Which craft do you think you'll try?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Project of the Day
Give your home an old-timey feel this Christmas season with these Simply Adorable Bottle Brush Trees. Using just a few craft store… Continue reading: "Simply Adorable Bottle Brush Trees"
- How to Make a Diaper Cake
- 30 Minute Baby Quilt
- Dreamy Kittens and Clouds Hanging Mobile
- Minnie Mouse Crochet Hat Pattern
- Cuddly Wuddly Sock Penguins
- How to Make a Diaper Tricycle
- 30 Cute and Cuddly DIY Baby Shower Crafts
- Baby Shower Gift Bouquet
- Chain Crochet Baby Blanket
- How to Host a Baby Shower + DIY Baby Shower Gifts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Valentine’s Day Bingo Free Printable
- Rose Milk Bath Tea
- Wax Air Freshener With Dried Flowers
- Valentine Deer Craft + Free Printable
- Valentine’s Day Cards Kids Can Make
- Valentine’s Day Word Scramble Printable
- Valentine’s Day Word Search Printable
- Diy Love Coupon Book For Valentine's Day
- Decorating Glass Jars For Fall
- Cards To Support Our Troops – Free Printable
- 10 Free Flower Tutorials: How to Make Fabric Flowers, Flowers from Paper, and More
- 10 Mason Jar Crafts: DIY Home Decor and Handmade Gifts in a Jar
- 10 Summer Craft Ideas and Garden Crafts for Summer
- DIY Wedding Ideas: 14 Wedding Crafts, DIY Wedding Gifts, and More
- Fun Easter Crafts: 9 Easter Decorating Ideas
- Handmade Wreaths for All Seasons: 14 Wreath Tutorials
- Happy Birthday to You: 8 Handmade Birthday Cards, Birthday Crafts, and Birthday Activities
- How to Make Easter Crafts: 7 Cute Easter Craft Projects
- Mother's Day Crafts: 9 Gift Ideas and Crafts for Mother's Day
- Valentines Day Ideas: 14 Heart Crafts and Cute Valentines Day Crafts