How to Celebrate National Dog Day + 10 Dog Craft Ideas
Celebrate the biggest holiday of the year with some of our best dog craft ideas!
There are a lot of holidays that don't get as much attention as Halloween or Christmas, but one of the best is National Dog Day. Our pets end up becoming cherished members of the family, so it makes sense that they should have a day of their own during which we celebrate them and how much comfort and happiness they give us. As August 26 approaches, read on to learn how to celebrate National Dog Day with some of our 10 dog craft ideas. There are a lot of things to make for dogs to make them feel special, so peruse our collection of pet craft ideas and choose which ones your dog will like most.
Big or small, purebred or mixed, your dog is a huge part of your life. You take care of them physically by feeding them and giving them a place to live and they repay you by loving you unconditionally and offering their never-ending comfort and joy. They're your best friend and companion and will always love you no matter what. This unconditional love deserves to be celebrated, so take a day to make your dog feel as special and loved as they make you feel every day by making one of these dog craft ideas.
Looking for more free crafts? Sign up to get free tutorials sent directly to your inbox!
Click Here to Subscribe to AllFreeHolidayCrafts Newsletters
What is National Dog Day?
National Dog Day is celebrated annually on August 26. It is celebrated to bring attention to the plight of animals who aren't in loving homes and encourage adoption. It serves to recognize the number of dogs that need to be rescued every year and acknowledges every dog, including family dogs and dogs that work selflessly each day to save lives, keep us safe, and bring comfort.
Dogs work every day for their law enforcement partner, for their blind companion, for a child who is disabled, for our freedom and safety by detecting bombs and drugs, and pulling victims of tragedy from wreckage.
National Dog Day can be marked as a dog's birthday for those rescued on the day and it can be very popular and exciting for all dogs with the explosion of pet parties planned around the globe. So get ready to post some cute photos and make some of our best dog crafts to give your pups the special day they deserve!
What to Do on National Dog Day
There are so many ways to celebrate National Dog Day whether you're a dog owner or not!
1. Adopt a dog!
- The number one way to celebrate National Dog Day is to adopt a dog from your local shelter or rescue organization. It goes without saying that you should only adopt a dog if you are ready and able to give it the love and support needed to live a happy life.
- If you cannot adopt a dog right now, there are plenty of other ways to celebrate National Dog Day!
2. Donate or volunteer at your local shelter
- You can donate money but you can also donate blankets, food, toys, and more!
3. Stand up against puppy mills
- Encourage friends and community members to adopt their next dog from a shelter rather than buying them from a pet store.
- Write a letter to your congressman advocating the ban of puppy mills in your state.
4. Throw a National Dog Day party and playdate for the dogs in your community
- Make special dog treats and new toys as party favors!
Dog Craft Ideas
Read Next30+ Crafts for Seniors