Happy Birthday to You: 8 Handmade Birthday Cards, Birthday Crafts, and Birthday Activities
How to Host a Wine Tasting at Home: The Wine and Cheese Party Guide
Enjoy the finer things in life by throwing an in-home wine tasting. Hosting a wine tasting can be easy once you learn wine and cheese pairings and more.
By: Chelsea Scarnegie, Editor, AllFreeHolidayCrafts.com
We are adding the project to your Holiday Projects.
The project was added to your Holiday Projects.
With a few easy tips, you can host your own wine tasting at home and impress your friends with your newfound skills. If you've always dreamt of being a wine connoisseur, read this article, How to Host a Wine Tasting at Home: The Wine and Cheese Party Guide. By throwing your own wine and cheese party, you and your friends can enjoy good times and learn even more about the world of fine wine. This is a great way to expand your wine pallet, and perhaps you'll even find a new favorite wine and cheese pairing.
Don't worry, dear host or hostess, about ruining your own evening of fun and friendship. With this foolproof guide, you can't go wrong. We've covered all the basics like wine selections, decorations, and snack ideas, so all you have to do is choose a theme! With this "to-do" style list, you can be sure that your party will be a hit. Hosting a wine tasting at home means that you get to be in charge of everything from the atmosphere to the flavors. If you're not a wine and cheese expert, we've even got a list where you can find the perfect wine and cheese pairing that will suit you and your guests. To make your evening even more special, why not try to make a few of the wine bottle crafts listed? They might just be the perfect finishing touch to the night's festivities.
Want a relaxing night with just you and the girls? With our collection, you will have the time of your life in the comfort of your own home surrounded by your besties: 29 Ideas for Girls Night In
Steps for Hosting a Wine Tasting
Select the wine. It's best to select no more than five types of wine when you're hosting a wine tasting at home, as any more than that will get overwhelming (and pricey!). Pick a combination of reds and whites, but be sure to serve them in order from lightest to darkest. An easy way to choose your wines is to stick to a specific region as your "theme." Think Tuscany or Napa Valley - or try sampling various wines from your own home state!
Gather your "party supplies." Wines should be served in Bordeaux glasses, but you only need one per person. (Tip: Don't rinse your glasses between each taste, as water droplets may dilute the wine.) It can even be fun to make your own coasters as a personal touch and a little something for your guests to remember the evening by. If you're going for elegant simplicity, we recommend these Pretty Stenciled Disc Coasters.
Prepare snacks. Your wine and cheese party can be more than just wine and cheese, you know. Feel free to serve anything from cheese straws and dried fruit to pistachios and rich chocolate. For something a little more traditional, there's nothing like this Copycat Olive Garden Breadstick Recipe.
Create a special playlist. Music makes everything better and really helps set whatever mood you envision. From Marvin Gaye to Van Morrison to Bill Withers, there are so many artists with so many unique styles. Choose a CD of your favorite performer, or create your own playlist to blend multiple genres and sounds.
Learn how to savor the flavor. On the evening of your wine tasting at home, you will want to make observations about the wine's look, scent, and (of course) taste. Is the wine bright or dark? Does it smell fruity, floral, herbal, or earthy? When it comes to taste, be sure to "slurp" the wine as you would a cup of hot coffee. This aerates the wine and brings out its true flavor.
Wine and Cheese Pairings
Bloomy. Cheeses such as camembert, brie, robiola, and taleggio pair well with champagne, chardonnay, sparkling wine, and pinot blanc.
Hard. Cheeses such as gouda, cheddar, parmesan, double gloucester, pecorino, gruyere, and fontina pair well with merlot, cabernet sauvignon, chianti, zinfandel, valpolicella, sauvignon blanc, and bardolino.
Blue. Cheeses such as gorgonzola, stilton, blue, and cambozola pair well with port, sauternes, riesling, and eiswein.
Fresh. Cheeses such as ricotta, mozzarella, goat, feta, and burrata pair well with pinot grigio, sauvignon blanc, chenin blanc, beaujolais, and tocai friulano.
Throw the most relaxing party of your life! We've gathered all the information you'll need with this guide: How to Throw a Spa Party and 8 Homemade Bath Products
What is your favorite type of wine? Answer in the comments below!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Simple Sprinkle Paper Bows
- Toasting the Grad Craft
- Mini Felt Topiaries
- Lavender Mason Jar Candles
- Beautiful Coffee Filter Garland
- Themed Party Ideas You Wish You Thought Of
- 400+ Holiday Party Ideas Organized by Occasion
- Comic Book Word Bubble Printables
- Mini Tea Jars
- Printable Grocery Shopping Checklist
- 10 Free Flower Tutorials: How to Make Fabric Flowers, Flowers from Paper, and More
- 10 Mason Jar Crafts: DIY Home Decor and Handmade Gifts in a Jar
- 10 Summer Craft Ideas and Garden Crafts for Summer
- DIY Wedding Ideas: 14 Wedding Crafts, DIY Wedding Gifts, and More
- Fun Easter Crafts: 9 Easter Decorating Ideas
- Handmade Wreaths for All Seasons: 14 Wreath Tutorials
- Happy Birthday to You: 8 Handmade Birthday Cards, Birthday Crafts, and Birthday Activities
- How to Make Easter Crafts: 7 Cute Easter Craft Projects
- Mother's Day Crafts: 9 Gift Ideas and Crafts for Mother's Day
- Valentines Day Ideas: 14 Heart Crafts and Cute Valentines Day Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- "10 Summer Craft Ideas and Garden Crafts for Summer" eBook
- Dollar Store DIY Rustic Easter Eggs
- Dollar Store Bird's Nest DIY Wreath
- Perry the Platypus Toilet Roll Craft
- Easter Toilet Roll DIY Baskets
- Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo Yarn Review
- Saint Patrick Printable Coloring Page
- Easy Upcycled Mardi Gras Treat Cups
- Super Easy Mardi Gras Mask
- Resurrection Perler Bead Design