Santa's Favorite Xmas Crafts for Children: 8 Simple Christmas Crafts for Kids
Panettone in a Can
We are adding the project to your Holiday Projects.
The project was added to your Holiday Projects.
"If you're not familiar with Panettone, it's a traditional Italian bread that's a staple around the holidays. Its a sweet bread with fruit and citrus zest. We thought it would be awesome to make and bake homemade Panattone in a can to give as homemade gift or serve for Christmas dinner!"
Time to CompleteWeekend project
Primary TechniqueFood Crafting
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/3 C milk
- 3 C bread flour
- 1/4 C sugar
- 4 large eggs plus 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons course salt
- 2 1/2 sticks room temperature butter cut into chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 1/4 C golden raisins
- 1 C diced orange peel
- 6 cleaned out cans with labels removed
- vegetable oil
- ribbon or flowers to decorate
- powered sugar for dusting
Warm the milk in a saucepan, but dont let it come to a boil.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, with the dough attachment on, sprinkle the yeast over the warm milk. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle 1/2 cup of flour and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar over top. Cover with plastic, and let stand for 1 hour.
To the bowl, add remaining 2 1/2 cups of flour and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, the beaten eggs, and the salt. Mix together on medium speed until dough forms a smooth, stiff ball, about 5 minutes.
Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix dough on medium-high speed for 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and add extracts, orange peel, and raisins. Mix until combined.
Turn out dough onto a clean surface, and form into a ball. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic, and refrigerate overnight.
Bring the dough to room temperature and split between six, very well greased, tin cans.
Cover the cans with plastic wrap and place them on a cookie sheet. Cover with a towel and place them in a warm area of the house or on top of a heated oven (you can set to 350 degrees to create a warm environment) for the bread to rise.
Let it rise for at least 2 hours or longer. The bread should double in size and puff up over the top of the can.
Re-set the oven to 375 degrees. Carefully move the cookie sheet with the bread into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool and decorate cans as desired.
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
Kids are fascinated by snow globes, and these DIY Christmas decorations are a fun way for your children to bring to life some of their… Continue reading: "Magical Recycled Homemade Ornaments"
- Wrapping Paper Pop-up Gift Decoration
- 75+ Easy Christmas Crafts to Make at the Last Minute
- Bright Button Wreath
- 30 Minute Christmas Gift Idea
- DIY Holiday Plates
- Melting Snowman Cupcakes
- Holiday Crochet Coasters
- Santa or Gnome Hanging Kitchen Towel
- "7 Easy DIY Christmas Crafts: Make Your Own Ornaments, Wreaths and More!" eBook
- Precious Graphic Salt Dough Ornaments
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Lacy Crochet Doily Tablemat
- Bead And Wood Patriotic Pendant
- Toilet Paper Roll Butterfly Craft For Kids
- Make Your Own Rectangle Crochet Basket
- How To Make A Popcorn Crochet Flower
- Fun Printable Camping Bingo For Kids
- Teddy Bear Crochet Basket
- 4th Of July Americana Wreath
- Patriotic Binoculars
- Red White & Blue Cake Pops
- 10 Free Flower Tutorials: How to Make Fabric Flowers, Flowers from Paper, and More
- 10 Mason Jar Crafts: DIY Home Decor and Handmade Gifts in a Jar
- 10 Summer Craft Ideas and Garden Crafts for Summer
- DIY Wedding Ideas: 14 Wedding Crafts, DIY Wedding Gifts, and More
- Fun Easter Crafts: 9 Easter Decorating Ideas
- Handmade Wreaths for All Seasons: 14 Wreath Tutorials
- Happy Birthday to You: 8 Handmade Birthday Cards, Birthday Crafts, and Birthday Activities
- How to Make Easter Crafts: 7 Cute Easter Craft Projects
- Mother's Day Crafts: 9 Gift Ideas and Crafts for Mother's Day
- Valentines Day Ideas: 14 Heart Crafts and Cute Valentines Day Crafts