This project was submitted by one of our readers, just like you.
Santa's Favorite Xmas Crafts for Children: 8 Simple Christmas Crafts for Kids
Felt Gnome Ornament
We are adding the project to your Holiday Projects.
The project was added to your Holiday Projects.
"Create a lasting craft that you will be proud of for years to come with this adorable Felt Gnome Ornament. Though this craft is better suited to older children, you can definitely involve little ones by having them choose colors and even help stuff the gnome near the end! The holiday season always makes us giddy and we hope it does for you too! With only felt fabrics, cotton or scrap felt pieces, wooden beads, a needle, thread, fabric glue, pencil, and fabric scissors you can create a memorable Christmas tree ornament! "
Primary TechniqueFabric Crafts
- Cotton or scrap felt pieces
- Wooden Bead
- Fabric Glue
- Fabric Scissors
Start by selecting the felt fabrics for the gnome ornament. For this tutorial, I picked out a white piece, a dark brown piece, a tan piece, and a red piece. Once you have selected your felt pieces, trace the template patterns onto them. The template includes a gnome base layout, hat, shirt, shoes, beard, and mustache.
Let’s start by stitching the snowflake pattern on the hat cutout. Start by placing your knot on the underside of the center of the snowflake. From there, stitch the 6 arms off from the center.
Join every 2 center arms by stitching an arrowhead pattern between them. This will form a 6-point star pattern
Now, stitch the 6 outer arms of the snowflake to complete the pattern. Draw the needle to the backside of the hat, tie a knot or 2, and cut off extra thread.
Place the mustache near the top-middle part of the beard cutout and then place the beard near the top-middle part of the shirt cutout. Stitch the top side of the mustache along with the beard and the shirt cut out and join them together.
Place the shoe cutouts on the bottom side of the base layout by slightly overlapping them with the base.
Place the body pattern (beard-mustache-shirt) on the bottom side of the base layout. Prepare the needle with a thread matching the felt of the shirt and stitch around the outer side of the shirt pattern.
Place the hat pattern on the top side of the base layout and this will cover the top side of the mustache and the beard slightly. Now, stitch around the outer side of the hat and join it with the base layout. Keep a small opening to stuff the felt gnome pattern.
Use cotton or scrap felt to stuff the gnome pattern. After stuffing the felt gnome pattern, stitch to close the open end.
Cut a small wooden bead into half and use fabric glue to attach the half-cut bead right below the middle of the hat, on top of the mustache. Use glue to close the bottom side of the hat or stitch it closed, whichever you prefer.
Cut out a small piece of ribbon and form a loop with it. Attach the ribbon loop on the backside of the felt gnome with fabric glue to complete the ornament craft.
Read NextWinter Floral Ball Jar Vases
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Project of the Day
There's nothing on the planet more adorable than baby socks, so why not use them in a few sock crafts to help celebrate the holidays?… Continue reading: "Cute Snowman Homemade Ornaments"
- Winter Floral Ball Jar Vases
- Grinch Hot Chocolate Sticks
- Holiday Tradition Checklist
- Sweet Simplicity Printable Christmas List Organizer
- Kid-Friendly Pipe Cleaner Christmas Trees Craft
- Crochet Christmas Star Ornament
- Crochet Christmas Gift Basket
- 75+ Easy Christmas Crafts to Make at the Last Minute
- Recycled Toilet Paper Roll Ornaments
- Super Easy Bauble and Light Filled Star
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Crochet Pumpkin Jack O’lantern Snow Globe
- Crochet Witch Gnome
- Crochet Melted Snowman
- Boo The Crochet Ghost Solid Granny Square
- Free Magic Reindeer Food Printable Recipe & Topper
- Free Printable Happy Halloween Coloring Page
- How To Crochet Drop Leaf Table Runner
- Simple Ornate Celestial Quilt Pattern
- Halloween Printable Placemats
- Super Easy And Quick Crochet Blanket Pattern With One Row Repeat
- 10 Free Flower Tutorials: How to Make Fabric Flowers, Flowers from Paper, and More
- 10 Mason Jar Crafts: DIY Home Decor and Handmade Gifts in a Jar
- 10 Summer Craft Ideas and Garden Crafts for Summer
- DIY Wedding Ideas: 14 Wedding Crafts, DIY Wedding Gifts, and More
- Fun Easter Crafts: 9 Easter Decorating Ideas
- Handmade Wreaths for All Seasons: 14 Wreath Tutorials
- Happy Birthday to You: 8 Handmade Birthday Cards, Birthday Crafts, and Birthday Activities
- How to Make Easter Crafts: 7 Cute Easter Craft Projects
- Mother's Day Crafts: 9 Gift Ideas and Crafts for Mother's Day
- Valentines Day Ideas: 14 Heart Crafts and Cute Valentines Day Crafts