The Essential Guide to the Best Holiday Recipes & Crafts: 20 Ideas for a DIY Christmas, Thanksgiving, & Halloween
How to Give the Best Gifts + 15 DIY Gift Ideas
Become a gift-giving master with our tips and tricks + our best handmade gift ideas!
We are adding the project to your Holiday Projects.
The project was added to your Holiday Projects.
Some people are just impossible to shop for. It seems like they have everything or you just can't think of anything good to give them. With our guide, you will know How to Give the Best Gifts and have 15 DIY gift ideas from which to choose. Handmade gifts are so much better than anything you could buy because it takes a little bit more effort. Do it yourself gifts are typically more affordable to make, but they're very special to whoever receives them. With our help, you will choose the best gifts to make your loved ones.
From your husband who is impossible to shop for to your sister who seems to have everything, you will find a gift to make in this list that they'll love and cherish for years to come. It's often the thought that counts the most, so even if they aren't expecting it, a do it yourself gift will make the holidays or their birthday extra special.
Find the best crafting materials for your DIY gifts in a thrift store with the help of our thrifting tips: How to Thrift Shop: 10 Thrifting Tips for Vintage Crafters
How to Give the Best Gifts
How to Choose Gifts
If your friends and family haven't hinted at anything they might want and you don't want to resort to a gift card, then you should think about something they might need. Giving a gift that someone can use is one of the best ideas because it means you thought about their needs in a way no one else had.
For example, if they've just moved into a new house or apartment, they might need something for their kitchen. Or, if they like to make things, you could give them a material they need like yarn or a wood stain for their woodworking projects.
The monetary value of the gift is unimportant. Don't worry about giving them something expensive just to give them something expensive. You should give something that has a greater personal or emotional value like sharing a family recipe or a nicely framed photo to commemorate a happy memory together.
Instead of giving your friend an object, give them an experience. If they're stressed, a certificate for a massage or a DIY spa day is perfect. If their favorite musician or play is in town, then tickets are the best gift. Some objects like books can also be experiences if they're carefully chosen.
There are also subscription services you can give as a gift so your friends will get a surprise in the mail every month. It's the gift that keeps on giving!
Give something that you yourself can share in too, like tickets to the theater or a weekend trip. This shows that you want to spend more time with the person, and now you have the perfect excuse to treat yourself to something nice too! The experience you share together will make your bond that much stronger.
Ask friends and family what they might like. Even if they're also at a loss, they might have ideas or they will be willing to share a more expensive item with you. Family might have some insight you don't like their favorite food or something they have been planning on buying for themselves for a while.
If you're truly at a loss for any gift ideas, then I suggest just asking your friend what they might want for Christmas or for their birthday. Chances are they might have something in mind. It's better to give them something you know they'll like than to surprise them with something they might not like.
15 DIY Gift Ideas
If you want to give a personalized gift to your loved one, then do it yourself gifts are the way to go. Consult our list of homemade gift ideas for handmade gifts that your friends are sure to love.
Now that you're a gift-giving master, you're ready to move on to hosting with the help of our article: How to Host a Baby Shower + DIY Baby Shower Gifts
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- Cheery Anthropologie Knockoff Trinket Dishes
- Warm and Merry Neighbor Gifts
- Snowman Jar DIY Christmas Gift
- Minty Homemade Bath Salts Ornaments
- Dollar Store Antiqued Plaque
- Amish Folk Christmas Tea Towel
- Very Merry Printable Gift Tags
- Shabby Chic Christmas Candles
- Mason Jar Gift Wrap
- Little Sachet Stocking Stuffers
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Lacy Crochet Doily Tablemat
- Bead And Wood Patriotic Pendant
- Toilet Paper Roll Butterfly Craft For Kids
- Make Your Own Rectangle Crochet Basket
- How To Make A Popcorn Crochet Flower
- Fun Printable Camping Bingo For Kids
- Teddy Bear Crochet Basket
- 4th Of July Americana Wreath
- Patriotic Binoculars
- Red White & Blue Cake Pops
- 10 Free Flower Tutorials: How to Make Fabric Flowers, Flowers from Paper, and More
- 10 Mason Jar Crafts: DIY Home Decor and Handmade Gifts in a Jar
- 10 Summer Craft Ideas and Garden Crafts for Summer
- DIY Wedding Ideas: 14 Wedding Crafts, DIY Wedding Gifts, and More
- Fun Easter Crafts: 9 Easter Decorating Ideas
- Handmade Wreaths for All Seasons: 14 Wreath Tutorials
- Happy Birthday to You: 8 Handmade Birthday Cards, Birthday Crafts, and Birthday Activities
- How to Make Easter Crafts: 7 Cute Easter Craft Projects
- Mother's Day Crafts: 9 Gift Ideas and Crafts for Mother's Day
- Valentines Day Ideas: 14 Heart Crafts and Cute Valentines Day Crafts