10 Free Flower Tutorials: How to Make Fabric Flowers, Flowers from Paper, and More
How to Organize Your Home
We are adding the project to your Holiday Projects.
The project was added to your Holiday Projects.
The time has come to learn How to Organize Your Home. You can't live with the mess anymore, and quite frankly, you shouldn't have to live like this. You will find satisfaction in decluttering your home and you won't believe the difference. We're here to help you make your spring cleaning easier and hopefully you will never be quite so disorganized again. The basement and the garage might look scary and overwhelming right now, but trust me, when you're done with them, they will look like brand new spaces.
Whether you’re doing this for spring cleaning, as your New Year’s resolution, or just because you need to, you’re going to be satisfied with the results. An organized home is calming and easier to live in; so, what are you waiting for? Let’s organize!
Here are some of the best organizing tips and tricks:
You’re going to create four piles: To Donate, To Recycle, To Throw Away, and To Keep.
Hopefully your To Donate pile will be the largest, because someone will benefit from the things you don’t need anymore. And if you follow these tips and tricks right, the To Keep pile won’t be very big and will consist only of the things you need or absolutely have to keep for sentimental value (this does not include all of your elementary school projects that smell like mildew. You put them in the back of the basement for a reason: you don’t actually need them).
Prepare for some serious organization tough love.
Love recycled crafts? Check out our collection of 39 Ways to Craft with Recycled Materials!
Go through your closet.
If you can't remember wearing something in the past year, you can clearly live without it. Put it in the To Donate pile. Ditto for if it doesn't fit anymore. You know you'll never actually wear it again.
- It's always best to donate your clothes, even if they have holes in them or they're falling apart. So many clothes just end up in landfills when they could be in your local thrift store instead. Besides, a thrifty crafter won't mind if something has holes in it, because they're just going to fix it or make it better!
If you live in a small space, store things on your walls.
You will free up the floor space and you will always know where everything is. Your walls are basically empty space that is just waiting to be used for storage. The same goes for both sides of your closet and cabinet doors.
Here are some awesome ways to create wall storage:
Junk drawers are always a problem.
If you find yourself avoiding opening on particular drawer unless you absolutely have to, tackle that one first. Organize the things you're keeping in small baskets or trays that will fit in the drawer and keep your myriad of things neat. You can use velcro to adhere them to the bottom of the drawer so they stay in one place.
Untangle your jewelry for the last time.
If your jewelry is all over the place and constantly getting tangled, you can use dollar store ice cube trays to organize them in a drawer. Put your earrings and bracelets in there and you will always know where they are.
- If you have a lot of neckalces, you can hang flatware trays on the wall, and then you can safely hang your necklaces from command hooks. Boom, no more tangled jewelry!
Magnets are your new best friend.
You can quickly organize your spices by attaching them to the fridge with magnets. They will always be in reach and they won't be tumbling out of your cabinets
- You can also glue washers to the bottom of plastic containers and stick them to a magnetic strip.
- Store things like tweezers, bobby pins, hair clips, and anything else small and metal on a magnetic strip in your bathroom.
- You could use a magnetic strip to store your kitchen knives rather than take up precious counter space with a knife block (note: not the best idea if you have small children around who like to grab things).
- You can also hang your cooking pots and pans from the ceiling or from hooks on the wall. They will always be in reach and you won't cause a huge clatter when you pull them out of a cabinet every day.
- Glue magnets to the bottom of your make up supplies. If you use them every day, then you need them to be easily accessible. Attach them to a magnetic board.
- BONUS makeup organizer:
Bedside caddies are magical.
If you don't have a lot of space for a bedside table, then a bedside caddy will work wonders. It looks like big pockets on the side of your bed, but it can store everything you need, including your nighttime reading material. A shower caddy and a command hook will also get the job done.
Luggage tags aren't just for suitcases.
You can label the boxes or baskets in your closet with luggage tags. They are really great tools for labeling and color coding. As an added bonus, they're usually cheap!
Or, you could make your own luggage tags:
Wood crafts are surprisingly simple to make. Check out our collection 31 Cool Wood Projects!
What's your favorite organizing tip?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Images from other crafters
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Cereal Box Leprechaun Trap
- St. Patrick's Day Bingo
- Craft Stick Leprechaun Hat
- Cardboard Tube Easter Bunny
- Easter Treat Pails
- Colorful Paper Easter Eggs
- Marbled Easter Egg Art
- Cupcake Liner Daffodils
- Mardi Gras Wreath
- Mardi Gras Jester Centerpiece
- 10 Free Flower Tutorials: How to Make Fabric Flowers, Flowers from Paper, and More
- 10 Mason Jar Crafts: DIY Home Decor and Handmade Gifts in a Jar
- 10 Summer Craft Ideas and Garden Crafts for Summer
- DIY Wedding Ideas: 14 Wedding Crafts, DIY Wedding Gifts, and More
- Fun Easter Crafts: 9 Easter Decorating Ideas
- Handmade Wreaths for All Seasons: 14 Wreath Tutorials
- Happy Birthday to You: 8 Handmade Birthday Cards, Birthday Crafts, and Birthday Activities
- How to Make Easter Crafts: 7 Cute Easter Craft Projects
- Mother's Day Crafts: 9 Gift Ideas and Crafts for Mother's Day
- Valentines Day Ideas: 14 Heart Crafts and Cute Valentines Day Crafts