Funky Duck Tape Party Decor
We bet you never thought of using Duck Tape to create DIY party decorations before now. With the Funky Duck Tape Party Decor tutorial, learn all the different ways you can fashion DIY party decor out of such an overlooked household commodity. Add fun tassels to bring a pop of color to boring plastic silverware or even use them as festive cupcake toppers. It's always fun to come up with fresh, new party decorations because they're unique and help you save money. These decorations are so cute, they're sure to make guests leave wondering how they can top your fabulous creations!
- Duck® Edition Detail Scissors (5")
- Duck® Edition Scissors (8")
- Rotary cutting mat
- Duck Tape
- Duck tape chalkboard adhesive laminate
- Plastic silverware
Planning a party? Find everything you need in Plan the Perfect Party: 20 Party Crafts!
- Place a strip of Duck Tape (sticky side up) on a rotary cutting mat.
- Cut another strip, preferably a different color, sticky side down on top of the first piece, leaving a small strip of the underside tape exposed like the top right picture below.Trim all of the edges except the top sticky side.
- Turn your strip over and adhere the sticky side to the surface you are working on. Now grab your Fiskars Duck Edition scissors and start cutting little slits in your strip of tape. You have the option of making them thin or thick! How much fun is this?
- You now have a strip of duck tape with one color on each side. This is the base step for decorating each item.
*You can also add multiple layers of colored tape if you choose to, this is another option. By doing this you can create stripes and very long fringe.
- Lay your paper straw on top of the tape. If your strip is too long to work with, you can cut it a little like the picture below.
- Wrap your tape around the straw. This is where your sticky side will come into action. You will add two or three layers on the straw. Place each layer a little above the previous one.
1. Place a strip of Duck Tape (sticky side up) on a rotary cutting mat, carefully adding a piece of twine on the stick side, right along the top.
2. Next place your second strip directly on top and gently press down.
3. Start cutting your tape to make fringes. If you want to add some spice to your fringe banner cut out triangles and it will look like little flags.
Throwing a holiday party? Find everything you need for any holiday in our collection of 400+ Holiday Party Ideas Organized by Occasion!
These will go right into our cupcakes to add some quick love to them!
1. Repeat steps one through four of the basic fringe steps to get started. Your strip of tape might be too long to fit on a little toothpick, so you could cut the strip in half to make a mini fringe
2. Wrap your piece around the toothpick just like we did to the paper straw. To add a message to your cupcakes, you can take the chalkboard laminate and cut out little flags to add onto the toothpicks. You will notice some of the fringes are hanging down and some look like little fireworks facing up.
Fringed Party Mug Labels:
1. Going back to step one of the basic fringe steps, place a small piece sticky side up. Instead of placing a full strip of tape right on top we will cut small strips and place them along the edges like pictured below. Cut the fringes along all edges, then turn over and stick on your cup of choice.
2. Cut a small square of Duck Tape chalkboard adhesive laminate and place in the center of the label. Now you can personalize your cup by writing with chalk!
1. Let's decorate some forks. You will do them the same way you did your straws and toothpicks. I added the fringe along the top of straw and fell in love! Whats great about this is you can decorate all your party utensils.
Celebrate the warm weather with our collection of Spring Party Ideas: 26 Spring Party Decorations, DIY Party Favors, Spring Dessert Recipes, and More!
Read NextConfetti Vases and Jars