Homemade Christmas Ornaments: 9 Easy Ornament Tutorials
- see all comments
"This is really cute. I like how the pom poms add a little touch of color and pep to the wreath without overwhelming the natural look of the pine cones."
"Love it, will try to make"
"This idea is just too cute! I have never worked with Shrinky Dink before but after seeing this, I may just try it out. Her tutorial makes it look so easy!"
"Halloween is myfavorite holiday.. I'm 43 and dress up every year"
Crochet Poinsettia Ornament
We are adding the project to your Holiday Projects.
The project was added to your Holiday Projects.
Click here to view your Holiday Projects.
This easy Crochet Poinsettia Ornament is a wonderful small project to add to your collection of homemade Christmas ornaments. You will love the beauty and simplicity of this crochet flower pattern. The pattern consists of only three easy-to-work pieces, so you'll be able to whip up a handful of these DIY Christmas ornaments in no time at all. Small balls of yarn and scraps work well for this festive flower. Perfect for all your Christmas decorating, this ornament also makes a great gift topper. Experiment with the colors to really brighten your Christmas tree!
For more wonderful Chrismas crochet crafts, check out our collection of free festive crochet patterns! 26 Simple Crochet Patterns for Christmas: Festive Crochet Ideas
- Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Yarn: Olive (A)
- Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Yarn: Cranberry (B)
- Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Yarn: Beige (C)
- Crochet Hook - Size H-8 (5 mm)
- Large-Eye Blunt Needles
Exact gauge is not essential to this project.
- Poinsettia is made from 15 pieces: 6 Leaves, 6 Petals, and 3 Centers.
- Leaves and Petals are worked along both sides of the foundation ch.
Leaf (make 6)
Beg at base of Leaf, with A, ch 10.
Row 1: Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next 2 ch, hdc in next 3 ch, sc in next 2 ch, (sl st, ch 2, sl st) in last ch (tip of Leaf); working across opposite side of foundation ch, sc in next 2 ch, hdc in next 3 ch, sc in next 2 ch, sl st in next ch.
Fasten off. Cut yarn leaving a long yarn tail.
Petal (make 6)
Beg at base of Petal, with B, ch 6.
Row 1: Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next 2 ch, hdc in next ch, 5 hdc in last ch (tip of Petal); working across opposite side of foundation ch, hdc in next ch, sc in next 2 ch, sl st in next ch.
Fasten off. Cut yarn, leaving a long yarn tail.
Center (make 3)
With C, ch 2.
Rnd 1: Work 3 sc in 2nd ch from hook; do not join - 3 sts at the end of this rnd.
Rnd 2: (2 sc in next sc) 3 times - 6 sts.
Fasten off, leaving a long yarn tail. Thread tail through sts of last rnd and pull to gather. Knot securely. Do not trim yarn tail.
Using yarn tails, sew Leaves together at base, sew Petals to Leaves, then sew Centers to Petals.
Knot a length of yarn in desired color to Poinsettia for hanging loop.
Weave in ends.
For more pretty Christmas ornaments like this elegant crochet poinsettia, take a look at our downloadable ebook: Homemade Christmas Ornaments: 9 Easy Ornament Tutorials
Read NextDIY Angel Ornament
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Nov 11, 2017
Can anyone help with how to join the pieces please? I'm only finding tutorials at making parts not joining them! Thanks
Aug 21, 2017
The colors selected to crochet this ornament make such a deep rich poinsettia. I try to add a new ornament every year. I think I will add more than one ornament this year because I want a lot of these. Beautiful.
Oct 01, 2016
Oh I have been looking for a pattern for a nice looking Crochet Poinsettia Ornament. Thanks! I will be making a ton of these and crocheting them together to make a long string to put on our Christmas tree. This pattern is very well written and easy to follow. So sweet!! Thank you so much for sharing this free crochet pattern.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
Project of the Day
The Cutest Christmas Wreath You Have Ever Seen
If you are looking for easy Christmas wreaths to make, The Cutest Christmas Wreath You Have Ever Seen is the perfect craft for you.… Continue reading: "The Cutest Christmas Wreath You Have Ever Seen"
- DIY Angel Ornament
- DIY Frosty the Snowman Ornament
- Owl Ornaments
- Fabulous Toilet Paper Rolls Wreath
- Pom Pom Pine Cone Christmas Wreath
- Gorgeous Decorative Paper Wreath
- Fabric Fill Ornament
- Wooden Peppermint Stick Artificial Candles
- Recycled Book Page Ball Ornament
- Unique Tinsel Garland Homemade Ornaments
Something worth saving?
- SAVE your favorite projects
- ADD personal reminder notes
- QUICKLY reference your projects
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Textured Crochet Fleece Blanket
- Sweet Dreams Easy Quilt Pattern
- Printable Hello Spring Coloring Page
- Egg-scellent Easter Egg Coloring Pages
- Fun Bee Coloring Pages
- Fun Easter Coloring Pages
- Colorful Crochet Easter Eggs
- Free Mother’s Day Cards For Kids: Fantastic 3d Coloring Fun And More
- Paper Easter Basket Craft
- Easter Chick Gift Bag
- 10 Free Flower Tutorials: How to Make Fabric Flowers, Flowers from Paper, and More
- 10 Mason Jar Crafts: DIY Home Decor and Handmade Gifts in a Jar
- 10 Summer Craft Ideas and Garden Crafts for Summer
- DIY Wedding Ideas: 14 Wedding Crafts, DIY Wedding Gifts, and More
- Fun Easter Crafts: 9 Easter Decorating Ideas
- Handmade Wreaths for All Seasons: 14 Wreath Tutorials
- Happy Birthday to You: 8 Handmade Birthday Cards, Birthday Crafts, and Birthday Activities
- How to Make Easter Crafts: 7 Cute Easter Craft Projects
- Mother's Day Crafts: 9 Gift Ideas and Crafts for Mother's Day
- Valentines Day Ideas: 14 Heart Crafts and Cute Valentines Day Crafts