How to Host a Baby Shower + DIY Baby Shower Gifts
Planning a baby shower has never been easier with our tips and tricks, plus you'll have the best DIY baby shower gift at the party!
We are adding the project to your Holiday Projects.
The project was added to your Holiday Projects.
Your sister, best friend, or other close loved one is about to have a baby. You want to host a baby shower for her, but you have no idea where to begin planning a baby shower. With our tips on How to Host a Baby Shower and DIY Baby Shower Gifts, you are going to be the best baby shower host. Your beloved mother-to-be is going to be so touched and honored that you hosted this baby shower for her and her new baby. We've compiled a list of DIY baby shower gifts as well as tips and tricks for hosting so that you're fully prepared for this baby shower.
Hosting a baby shower does not have to be stressful or difficult in the least. We've outlined the way you plan the party and clarified some etiquette like who is in charge of the guest list - the host or the mommy-to-be? Planning a baby shower is like a gift to your pregnant loved one, but if you want to also give a heartfelt gift, keep reading to find ten of the best homemade baby shower gift ideas that will put a smile on anyone's face.
Become a pro at planning and hosting parties with the help of our Party Checklist: How to Plan the Best Party
How to Host a Baby Shower
Planning a Baby Shower
Set the date. A baby shower is typically held four to six weeks before the due date; however, some mommy-to-be's prefer to have the shower after the baby is born. For example, if her religion encourages it or if she has chosen to keep the baby's sex a surprise and doesn't want gender-neutral gifts.
Make the guest list. It can be a tricky situation. Who decides who is invited: the guest of honor or the host? Since the host bears the expense of the party, it is up to her how many guests she's comfortable accommodating. If the shower isn't a surprise, the host can give the mom-to-be a number and ask whom she'd like to invite. For a surprise party, the mom-to-be's college roommate trumps the host's coworkers or second cousins.
How many guests are too many? A baby shower should be an intimate occasion so it doesn't have to be a gathering of anyone that honoree has ever met. Limit the guest list to close friends and family (pro tip: it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone invited that there is a baby on the way).
Make it co-ed! Baby showers don't have women only anymore; the father-to-be and other male family members will also enjoy celebrating the new baby.
Should you include registry information on the invitation? Many invitations for baby showers do include registry information, but it could make the shower seem like a "gimme-fest." Everyone knows that you're supposed to bring a gift to a baby shower, so it isn't really a faux pas to say where the soon-to-be-parents are registered. It will save time and effort for the guests because they won't have to guess or ask.
Pick a theme. Not every baby shower has to have a theme, but it does make it a little more fun! You can choose a theme that is related to the honoree's tastes or favorite movies like Mary Poppins or maybe their favorite book as a child like The Hungry Caterpillar or The Bernstein Bears. Or you could do something like a Nautical baby shower!
It's OK if you don't want to have a theme. Pick a bright and happy color scheme and go with that. The party is going to be lovely and the mommy-to-be is going to be happy and glowing.
If you want to host a baby shower no one is going to ever forget, check out our list of Themed Party Ideas You Wish You Thought Of!
Plan the party activities. Do you want to play games? A lot of baby showers do play games, but sometimes they're cringe-worthy or overplayed. Check out our collection 12 Easy Baby Shower Games to find activities that will make your party fun for everyone (including gift bingo!).
Plan the menu. Baby showers can be pretty long, especially if the mommy is opening gifts all at once. Make sure that you have substantial food available to keep everyone going. You can ask some people to pitch in and make it a potluck so that you don't have to do everything.
DIY Baby Shower Gifts
There is nothing more special than giving a handmade gift to someone you love. Your friend, sister, or coworker is going through a huge change in her life, and you've been invited to a baby shower to celebrate with her! Give her a DIY baby shower gift that she and the baby will appreciate for years to come. You never know - the homemade baby shower gift might become the baby's favorite that they carry around for years.
Now that the party is over, you need to write thank you notes! Find out the best way in our article: How to Write a Thank You Note
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive, partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
- Adorable Amish Crochet Heart Headband
- 30 Minute Baby Quilt
- 7 Yummy Baby Shower Punch Recipes
- Classic Quilted Baby Blanket
- Cuddly Wuddly Sock Penguins
- How to Make a Diaper Cake
- Minnie Mouse Crochet Hat Pattern
- Pretty Raspberry Sherbert Punch Recipe
- 40 Jaw-Dropping DIY Baby Shower Gifts and the Best Gifts for New Moms
- Mickey Mouse Crochet Hat Pattern
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Blank Quilting Corp
- 150+ Best Holiday Crafts: Christmas Crafts, Easter Crafts, Halloween Crafts, and More
- Fusion Illusion Fabric Collection
- Paper Cup Angel Luminaries
- Sweet Angel Cookies
- Back to School I Spy Printable
- Stylish Personalized Water Bottles
- Dollar Store Glittery Bottle Lights
- Bitty Beluga Embroidered Whole Cloth Quilt
- Upcycled Christmas Scene Bottle Lights
- 10 Free Flower Tutorials: How to Make Fabric Flowers, Flowers from Paper, and More
- 10 Mason Jar Crafts: DIY Home Decor and Handmade Gifts in a Jar
- 10 Summer Craft Ideas and Garden Crafts for Summer
- DIY Wedding Ideas: 14 Wedding Crafts, DIY Wedding Gifts, and More
- Fun Easter Crafts: 9 Easter Decorating Ideas
- Handmade Wreaths for All Seasons: 14 Wreath Tutorials
- Happy Birthday to You: 8 Handmade Birthday Cards, Birthday Crafts, and Birthday Activities
- How to Make Easter Crafts: 7 Cute Easter Craft Projects
- Mother's Day Crafts: 9 Gift Ideas and Crafts for Mother's Day
- Valentines Day Ideas: 14 Heart Crafts and Cute Valentines Day Crafts