How to Throw a Surprise Party
Find out if you are sneaky enough to pull off these top 5 tips for planning a surprise party.
We are adding the project to your Holiday Projects.
The project was added to your Holiday Projects.
It's your friend's birthday or they have something big to celebrate; obviously, you want to make it a special occasion for them. With our helpful tips and tricks on How to Throw a Surprise Party, it will be a night that they will never forget. Planning a surprise party is an intricate process. You need a lot of little things to go your way and you may need the help of other people in order to pull off this endeavor. Only include people you can trust with the top secret information and you're going to throw the best surprise party ever!
Surprise parties are so much fun and very memorable for everyone involved. There's a lot to keep in mind when you're throwing one, like where, when, who to invite, how to keep it all secret, and how to reveal the surprise! If you don't want to clean up or cook, then you can host it at a restaurant or a bar. If you want a little more control over the process, then hosting it at a private home will be best. If you're thinking of planning a surprise party, then read on for our best surprise party ideas.
Maybe your surprise party should be a cocktail party! Check out our tips for throwing a cocktail party here: How to Mix Cocktails and Cocktail Party Ideas
Surprise Party Ideas
Throwing a Surprise Party with Ease
Before you start planning anything, you need to find out, first and foremost, whether the guest of honor likes surprises. If they don't like to be surprised, going to parties, or being the center of attention, then just stop reading this article. They might appreciate the sentiment and the effort you put into making them happy, but there might be better ways to make their day special for them.
Pick people to help that you can trust. The guest of honor's spouse or partner might find it difficult to keep secrets for a couple of weeks. You can let them know that you're planning a surprise party, but they might not be the best helper in terms of details.
You will also need someone who can ensure that the honoree shows up at the right place at the right time without arousing suspicion.
When you send out invitations, stress that it's a surprise party. You don't want your guests to accidentally spill the beans that they're "so excited about the big party on Saturday." And when the dumbfounded honoree asks "What party?" then the surprise is completely blown.
Send out the invitations so your guests have adequate warning, but not so early that they have more opportunity to spill the secret.
Picking a venue can be tricky. It might be easier to coordinate details in the privacy of a home, but outdoor venues, bars, and restaurants are also great venue options (no clean up after!).
If you choose a bar or restaurant, make sure it's a place that your honoree likes so they'll be willing to go there.
When you need your honoree to show up, make sure you have an accomplice who can reliably without causing suspicion or giving away the surprise.
You can do the *big reveal* in a few different ways.
When you know that your guest of honor is close by, have your guests start chanting, clapping, or singing. The noise will reveal the surprise more slowly, giving your special guest some time to realize what's going on and wonder what's happening without being startled by a big group of people yelling "SURPRISE!"
You could also do a "reverse" surprise party. Have your guests walk in on the guest of honor instead of the other way around. Watch their smile grow bigger and bigger as more of their loved ones arrive.
Have the party already in progress. It'll be much less of a shock to walk in on a party already in progress rather than one that hasn't begun. You don't have to have anyone hide and have people shout "surprise!" because the guest of honor will already be surprised to see all of their loved ones in one place.
Make your home look party ready with our budget decorating tips! How to Decorate on a Budget
What's your favorite way to spend your birthday?
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Sound of Music Telegram Seal Stamps
- Never-Ending Pop-Up Card Tutorial
- Pop-Up Princess Birthday Invitation
- Gone with the Wind DIY Soap
- Free Printable Birthday Word Search For Kids
- Pom Pom Balloons
- Magical Unicorn Sprinkles Craft
- Silly Stirring Sticks
- DIY Floral Gift Wrap Ideas
- Popcorn Ball Ice Cream Cones
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Peacock Craft Idea
- Sparkle Cross Christmas Ornament From Paper Rolls
- Beautiful Angel Ornament From Paper Rolls
- Bruce The Spruce Tree
- Round Textured Crochet Flower Tablemat
- Free Printable Unicorn Bingo Game
- Easy To Make Rosebud Spring Flower Coaster
- Free Printable Birthday Word Search For Kids
- Fun Frog Toilet Paper Roll Craft For Kids
- Paper Roll Menorah
- 10 Free Flower Tutorials: How to Make Fabric Flowers, Flowers from Paper, and More
- 10 Mason Jar Crafts: DIY Home Decor and Handmade Gifts in a Jar
- 10 Summer Craft Ideas and Garden Crafts for Summer
- DIY Wedding Ideas: 14 Wedding Crafts, DIY Wedding Gifts, and More
- Fun Easter Crafts: 9 Easter Decorating Ideas
- Handmade Wreaths for All Seasons: 14 Wreath Tutorials
- Happy Birthday to You: 8 Handmade Birthday Cards, Birthday Crafts, and Birthday Activities
- How to Make Easter Crafts: 7 Cute Easter Craft Projects
- Mother's Day Crafts: 9 Gift Ideas and Crafts for Mother's Day
- Valentines Day Ideas: 14 Heart Crafts and Cute Valentines Day Crafts