Follow Us on Facebook
Get updates from AllFreeHolidayCrafts.com posted directly to your News Feed.
Harry Potter Dog Costume
By: Simone Collins
We are adding the project to your Holiday Projects.
The project was added to your Holiday Projects.
Harry Potter is so popular that even pets want in on the trend! Transform your furry friend into a Pet Potter with this easy Harry Potter Dog Costume tutorial. Of all the dog costume ideas you'll see this year, this one is by far the most trendy! This Harry Potter homemade costume features both a cape (complete with Gryffindor crest) and the iconic black rimmed glasses.
1. For the grey vest, you can use a child size shirt. Choose a size that will fit your dog appropriately. The shirt works great because there’s no hemming required and the waffled texture gives the appearance of a sweater. Cut off the sleeves and cut straight up the back center.
2. For the tie, you can use a tie you found or make your own. To make a tie like the one pictured, start with a piece of maroon colored fabric measuring 7” x 2”. Hem on both sides to create a skinnier tie with finished edges. Adhere gold colored ribbon the to the piece with iron on adhesive. Fold the pieces to the back and use iron on adhesive to adhere them (fabric adhesive would also work).
3. To create the Windsor knot look, cut a piece from the strip that measures 4” long. Wrap the piece around the top of the tie piece and glue with fabric adhesive. Fold down the top and adhere with fabric adhesive.
4. Trim your white blouse or collared shirt so that you only have a small front piece. Sew one side of the shirt into the sweater piece and then add your tie with fabric adhesive or stitches. Then complete sewing around the whole front piece. You can either hand stitch this piece or you could machine sew as well.
5. Add Velcro to the back of the sweater. You can use iron on or sew on Velcro, both work great. Now your inside piece is finished!
6. To make the cape: Measure your dog from front leg over their back to front leg exactly where you want the cape to lie. Take that measurement and add 2 inches. Then measure from neck to tail for the length and add 2 inches. This is the measurement for your black fabric. For example my dog measured 26” x 24”, so I cut my black fabric 28” x 26”.
7. Sew hem on all four sides to give it a finished edge. I hemmed 1” and then 1” again for my cape on all sides.
8. For the hood, decide how big you want or need the hood to be proportionate to the cape. Cut a piece of black and deep purple fabric to that size. Put the two pieces together with the wrong sides together and pin on the two short sides and one width. Sew on the three sides and turn right side out. Fold a 1” hem and attach to the cape pins. Sew to attach.
9. To make the ties for your cape, cut two pieces of black fabric 2 ½“ x 12”. Hem the strips to 1”.
10. Using the Gryffindor crest pattern, trim loosely around the shape you wish to cut first and pin to the appropriate color of felt.
11. With sharp scissors, cut along the black line. Do this for all the pieces. Glue pieces together with fabric adhesive to resemble the photo. Attach to one side of the cape.
12. For the Potter-esque eyewear, all you need are a few black pipe cleaners. Depending on the size of your dog’s face, shape the circles using a drinking glass; leave a little end piece if you can. Attach ends together in the center to join the circles. Then add the band which will go around your dog’s head, again this depends on the size of your dog.
13. Now just dress your dog in your new costume and he is ready to go to all the Halloween parties this year or defend you from He Who Shall Not Be Named.
For more great Halloween costume ideas, download a copy of our free eBook: 14 Costume Ideas to Make at Home!
Related Products to Buy from CutRateCrafts.com - save 15-30%
Top Halloween Costumes