Harry Potter Dog Costume
By: Simone Collins, Editor, AllFreeHolidayCrafts
We are adding the project to your Holiday Projects.
The project was added to your Holiday Projects.
Harry Potter is so popular that even pets want in on the trend! Transform your four-legged friend into a wizard. As you'll see this year, this one is by far the trendiest dog costume ideas! The Harry Potter Dog Costume features both a cape (complete with Gryffindor crest) and the iconic black rimmed glasses. Forget spending ridiculous amounts of money on generic store-bought costumes. Instead, opt for homemade dog costumes that are more original and budget-friendly. Before you know it, your dog will be a master wizard.
Whether your dog has been Sorted into Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin, he or she is going to look Hogwarts-ready with their new school robes. This DIY dog costume is absolutely adorable and will still allow them full range of motion. They can run around the Forbidden Forest (backyard) and interrupt the Halloween feast (candy trading) to their heart's content.
- Black Fabric
- Deep Purple Fabric
- Maroon Fabric
- Gold or Yellow Ribbon
- Grey Sweater or Shirt
- White Collared Shirt
- Felt in Black, White, Red, and Gold
- Black Pipe Cleaners
- Fabric Adhesive.
- Iron on Adhesive
- Sewing Needle
- Grey Thread
- Black Thread
- Black Marker
We love this Harry Potter Dog Costume here at AllFreeHolidayCrafts.com. We can't get enough of it, because look at that adorable canine wizard! A lot of people grew up with the Harry Potter books and movies and feel very attached to the characters. Why not spread that love to your four-legged friends too? You can easily make this dog costume for your pup in time for Halloween or just because it's Tuesday.
Is your dog a Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, or Ravenclaw? You can personalize the costume to what House in which you think your dog would be Sorted. Everyone who sees your magical dog in their costume won't be able to resist stopping and petting them. They won't believe your DIY animal costume skills aren't just magic. Your dog will love the attention so it's a win-win!
If you have more than one dog (or even other types of pets) then you could make multiple costumes for them to wear too. Create an animal kingdom Hogwarts right inside your own home! Use this costume pattern to design Harry Potter costumes for your other animals. You'll have fun making them and they love you so much that they won't mind that you're putting them in wizarding robes. I can't wait to make my German Shepherd/Australian Collie mix his own Harry Potter dog costume!
How often do you get the chance to celebrate your beloved pooch? Read our article, How to Celebrate National Dog Day + 10 Dog Craft Ideas to learn the best ways to honor your four-legged friend.
1. For the grey vest, you can use a child size shirt. Choose a size that will fit your dog appropriately. The shirt works great because there’s no hemming required and the waffled texture gives the appearance of a sweater. Cut off the sleeves and cut straight up the back center.
2. For the tie, you can use a tie you found or make your own. To make a tie like the one pictured, start with a piece of maroon colored fabric measuring 7” x 2”. Hem on both sides to create a skinnier tie with finished edges. Adhere gold colored ribbon the to the piece with iron on adhesive. Fold the pieces to the back and use iron on adhesive to adhere them (fabric adhesive would also work).
3. To create the Windsor knot look, cut a piece from the strip that measures 4” long. Wrap the piece around the top of the tie piece and glue with fabric adhesive. Fold down the top and adhere with fabric adhesive.
4. Trim your white blouse or collared shirt so that you only have a small front piece. Sew one side of the shirt into the sweater piece and then add your tie with fabric adhesive or stitches. Then complete sewing around the whole front piece. You can either hand stitch this piece or you could machine sew as well.
5. Add Velcro to the back of the sweater. You can use iron on or sew on Velcro, both work great. Now your inside piece is finished!
6. To make the cape: Measure your dog from front leg over their back to front leg exactly where you want the cape to lie. Take that measurement and add 2 inches. Then measure from neck to tail for the length and add 2 inches. This is the measurement for your black fabric. For example my dog measured 26” x 24”, so I cut my black fabric 28” x 26”.
7. Sew hem on all four sides to give it a finished edge. I hemmed 1” and then 1” again for my cape on all sides.
8. For the hood, decide how big you want or need the hood to be proportionate to the cape. Cut a piece of black and deep purple fabric to that size. Put the two pieces together with the wrong sides together and pin on the two short sides and one width. Sew on the three sides and turn right side out. Fold a 1” hem and attach to the cape pins. Sew to attach.
9. To make the ties for your cape, cut two pieces of black fabric 2 ½“ x 12”. Hem the strips to 1”.
10. Using the Gryffindor crest pattern, trim loosely around the shape you wish to cut first and pin to the appropriate color of felt.
11. With sharp scissors, cut along the black line. Do this for all the pieces. Glue pieces together with fabric adhesive to resemble the photo. Attach to one side of the cape.
12. For the Potter-esque eyewear, all you need are a few black pipe cleaners. Depending on the size of your dog’s face, shape the circles using a drinking glass; leave a little end piece if you can. Attach ends together in the center to join the circles. Then add the band which will go around your dog’s head, again this depends on the size of your dog.
13. Now just dress your dog in your new costume and he is ready to go to all the Halloween parties this year or defend you from He Who Shall Not Be Named.
For more great DIY Halloween costume ideas, download a copy of our FREE eBook: Creative and Cute Halloween Costumes: 14 Costume Ideas to Make at Home!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Superhero Cape Pattern
- Harry Potter Dog Costume
- How to Make a Construction Worker Vest
- "Creative and Cute Halloween Costumes: 14 Costume Ideas to Make at Home" eBook
- Pretty Blue Tutu Tutorial
- DIY Alice in Wonderland Apron
- Fun Fish Costume for Toddlers
- DIY Johnny Appleseed Costume
- Classic Peter Pan Costume
- Chia Pet Dog Costume
- 10 Free Flower Tutorials: How to Make Fabric Flowers, Flowers from Paper, and More
- 10 Mason Jar Crafts: DIY Home Decor and Handmade Gifts in a Jar
- 10 Summer Craft Ideas and Garden Crafts for Summer
- DIY Wedding Ideas: 14 Wedding Crafts, DIY Wedding Gifts, and More
- Fun Easter Crafts: 9 Easter Decorating Ideas
- Handmade Wreaths for All Seasons: 14 Wreath Tutorials
- Happy Birthday to You: 8 Handmade Birthday Cards, Birthday Crafts, and Birthday Activities
- How to Make Easter Crafts: 7 Cute Easter Craft Projects
- Mother's Day Crafts: 9 Gift Ideas and Crafts for Mother's Day
- Valentines Day Ideas: 14 Heart Crafts and Cute Valentines Day Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- "10 Summer Craft Ideas and Garden Crafts for Summer" eBook
- Dollar Store DIY Rustic Easter Eggs
- Dollar Store Bird's Nest DIY Wreath
- Perry the Platypus Toilet Roll Craft
- Easter Toilet Roll DIY Baskets
- Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo Yarn Review
- Saint Patrick Printable Coloring Page
- Easy Upcycled Mardi Gras Treat Cups
- Super Easy Mardi Gras Mask
- Resurrection Perler Bead Design